Why would you choose to eat raw?

Monday, August 30, 2010

22 days to my goal!



My bread looks very different from this but that's Carrot lemonade just makes me more thirsty!

So I've been doing pretty good. I've cheated a little bit, nothing major, just a few pieces of chocolate today and yesterday. of course my popcorn as well, but been eating full meals, with lots of salads. I even went to the Elmwood Arts Festival and didn't eat anything bad there but the aforementioned chocolate.

I've been pretty busy cooking too. Firstly, I made a great salad the past two days and they were fantastic. To top them off I made dressing to go on it. Although I did make a few changes from the recipe.

Fantastic Flax Dressing

1/2 cup flax oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons miso paste (see glossary)
2 teaspoons stone ground mustard
2 teaspoons agave nectar or sweetener of choice
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar

Preparation:
1. Whisk all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and drizzle over your favorite salad.

Variation:
You can vary the flavor by adding any of your favorite fresh herbs or by adding 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic or ginger.

I used sunflower oil because I didn't have Flax Oil. So I guess I can't really call it the Flax Oil Dressing, but I do!


I also made another batch of Sunburgers. I now I said I was gonna make the Ani Phyo ones this time, but I wound up making the regular batch. But I didn't cook them as long and they are much moister. (I think I would like an in-between, I want them a little dryer.)

I've also been cooking a bit more from the Juliano Book Raw.

Essence Bread #1
Juliano
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
3 pitted dates
Water for soaking the nuts and dates
2 Cups sprouted wheat
1/4 cup shredded apple
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
1 tablespoon Olive oil

Directions
Soak almonds and walnuts in water for at least 2 hours. In a separate container, soak dates in water for 1 hour. Drain nuts and dates and toss them into a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients and puree into a dough.

On a solid dehydrating sheet form dough into a loaf about 1 1/2 inches tall, 3 1/2 inches wide and 6 inches long. Dehydrate at 90°F for 13 to 17 hours. When done, the loaf should be crisp on the outside and moist on the inside.

Number of Servings: 6

I'll let you know how this turns out.

Essence Bread #2 is basically the same, but remove the minced garlic, and the fresh parsley. Also increase the Olive oil to 1/4 cup.
I made an additional change, I threw in about 3/4 cup of dehydrated banana chips that I had made previously. Again I'll let you know how this turns out.

Lastly I made
Oatmeal Cookies
Juliano "RAW - the uncook book"

2 cups oat groats
3/4 cup dates
1/2 cup dried raisins
1/2 cup raw almonds coarsely chopped
2 or 3 apples grated
1/2 cup raw cashews

Place oat groats in a food processor and grind until fine. If you don't have a food processor, use a blender and add a little maple syrup to help the dough turn over (I tried it, the blender will do it dry just fine). Transfer the groats to a mixing bowl and add the dates, raisins, almonds and apples and mix the batter well. Set aside. In a coffee grinder grind the cashews until they resemble a silky flour. On a mesh dehydrator sheet shape the batter. Keep in mind that the thicker you shape the cookies the longer they take to dehydrate. Dehydrate the cookies at 90 degrees until they reach your preferred texture, around 12 hours. They don't need to be crunchy all the way though.

They are still dehydrating but the batter tasted fantastic. i am gonna try to make some more but alter it a little bit. I'm gonna try it with rolled oats and grind them till they are fine and I want to replace some of the maple syrup with apple juice. We'll see how that goes...

My blood sugar has been a Little high, between 140 and 190, better then what it is when I'm not on the raw diet, but not as low as it's been before.

All in all, I don't feel as hungry and am definitely eating less. We'll see how that continues and the impact it will have on my weight. So I'm finishing up day six (At this point my longest stretch) and loving it!

Care to join me?

Oops I almost forgot to add this juice. I tried it and loved it! I just didn't have any ginger at the time and used a whole lemon instead of half. Try it.

Carrot Lemonade
by Carrie W.

4-5 medium carrots
1/2 medium lemon
1 mildly tart apple (Fuji's or galas are nice)
1 small 1.5 - 2 " wedge red cabbage
1 round of ginger, about the size of a quarter

Juice all, preferably organic, ingredients and enjoy! Yummy carrots without the overwhelming sweetness and what a
beautiful color! Makes one large or 2 small servings.
(I drank the whole thing all by my self!)

No comments:

Post a Comment