Why would you choose to eat raw?

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fudge you say?



Yep! Raw, Vegan fudge. It's nice and easy.

1 cup nut butter (I used peanut)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 coconut butter
1/2 cup chopped nuts (Optional)
1/4 cup agave nectar (My addition)

hand mix it all together spread it in a shallow pan and refrigerate or freeze till solid. Remove and cut into pieces. Store in fridge. I've already tried it. It's fantastic.

I also made the following:

Portobello Mushroom Steaks with Balsamic Asparagus from Idiots Guide to Eating Raw

Ingredients

•4 portobello mushroom caps
•2 cups filtered water
•1/4 cup plus 3 teaspoons nama shoyu (raw soy sauce)
•1/2 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
•2 teaspoons garlic, minced
•1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
•pinch salt
•pinch freshly ground black pepper
•2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
•1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
•1 bunch asparagus (or enough for 4 servings
•1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
•1/2 medium yellow or orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
•undisclosed amount of maple syrup (try 1/4 cup) – book left this out of the ingredients!
Directions

Must caps in quarters and place in a baking pan with gills facing down. Add the water and 1/4 cup nama shoyu and put into 145 F dehydrator for 30 minutes. Remove from dehydrator and pour off the marinade (save 1/2 cup).

In a separate bowl mix basil, garlic, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons nama shoyu, salt, black pepper. Push mushrooms into this marinade, coat evenly.

In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, stone ground mustard, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon nama shoyu.

Clean and trim asparagus, put into pan, add this balsamic marinade.

Put asparagus in pan into 145 F dehydrator for 1 hour, stir every 15 minutes.

After this hour, add remaining 1/2 cup balsamic marinade to bottom of mushroom pan and put it into the 145 F dehydrator with the asparagus for 45 to 60 minutes.

****

The Recipe did not include how much maple syrup to use so I just threw in about 2 tsp. Try different amounts yourself. I also made a mistake and added mustard to both but I think it will be ok. It smells delicious!
Well I'm eating it before I head off for my walk. It's a nice, delicious meal. Really good and really flavorful. I'll have leftovers tomorrow!

On a side note, but certainly related one, I've been walking Delaware Park for three consecutive days. Two days I walked alone. I'm really trying to do this whether anyone joins me or not. I really want to keep doing this!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good. Does the fudge taste like peanut butter? Or have any coconut flavor?

    ReplyDelete